Just down the stream from the Baptism

I took this picture just downstream from where my son,  four years following, was Baptized.  It was taken on this georgous long forgotten ISO 25 Kodak print film.  I purposely took it out of focus, holding onto my tripod in the middle of the rushing water as my legs went numb from the chilled water.


Wilmot, NH - Copyright Kristian Whipple

UPDATE:

My son, mentioned above, is now nine years old.  Last Sunday he assisted me on a shoot with a lovely family and each time we take pictures together, I slip in something new that he might find interesting.  He remembered from a previous day what an aperture is and I showed him the beautiful effect a large aperture and subsequent shallow depth of field can have on an image.  I downloaded the images he took and was pleased to find this image:

Copyright Sebastian Whipple

This morning we were talking about this image and told him that it was time to start to switch the camera off of "auto" and learn to control the process more.  He responded with so much joy and excitement, much like when he learned to read or ride a bike.  The excitement for adventure and learning and the endless creative energy he processes, brings not only joy to my world, but keeps the creative spirit alive and well in me.  I am so blessed in so many ways.

Popular Posts